Remove the cushions and take apart the sofa by uncovering the frame. Start by removing all of the cushions and turning the sofa onto its back. Unscrew the legs and place those and the cushions aside to move separately. Use a Flathead screwdriver and pliers to remove the staples that secure the covering to the bottom of the sofa.
- Roll the upholstery far enough up that you can see the frame of the sofa and the fasteners that hold the arms to the base.
- Loosen the bolts or screws that secure the arms with an Allen wrench or a screwdriver. Roll up the upholstery far enough so that you can remove the arms.
- Look for the bolts that hold the seat and back of the sofa together. Remove the bolts and separate the pieces of the frame, just as you did with the arms.
- Take careful notes so that you remember how to reassemble the sofa.
- Only undo as much upholstery as is necessary. Follow these same steps to take apart an easy chair.
Remove the seat back and wheels to break down a desk chair. Desk chairs can be broken down easily for a move. Turn the knob on the bottom of the seat to the left until it is loose enough to remove. Remove the seat from the bottom of the chair. Push the lever that lowers the seat. Lower it as far as it will go to make the base as small as possible for moving.
- If you pull on the wheels, they should easily pop off. Store them in a separate bag for moving.
- All chairs are different. If yours is more complex, follow the instructions that came with the chair. If you no longer have them, check the manufacturer’s website for detailed instructions for your specific model.
Unscrew table legs to disassemble a table. For small tables, place them on a surface like a counter or workbench so that you can see underneath. For larger tables, you will likely need to get underneath the table for a good vantage point. Each leg will be held in place with hardware called a leg assembly. Locate each leg assembly and use a screwdriver to loosen and remove the bolts from each leg assembly. Once the screws are out, remove the braces from the legs.
- You may also need to unscrew the legs from the table. Gently twist them to the left until they come loose easily.
- Pack the braces and screws separately in a clearly labeled bag.
Remove the headboard and foot board to begin taking apart your bed. Strip your bed of all bedding and pillows. Remove your mattress and box spring from the frame and place them to the side. Use a screwdriver to unscrew the headboard and foot-board from the main frame of the bed.
- If your bed frame has slats, unscrew each slat and remove them from the frame.
Remove knobs and other removable pieces from dressers and desks. If your dresser or desk has knobs, remove them by twisting them to the left until they come off. You will also want to take off any removable parts on any other items. For example, if you have a kitchen cart, remove the wheels and any handles that stick out.